Exercises to Improve Muscle Health in Geriatric Dogs
Posted on January 30 2024
Geriatric dogs are those who begin to lose muscle as they naturally age. There are some simple ways to help your dog to stay healthier for longer by targeting specific muscles and exercising muscle memory.
Here's five things that help:
- Getting your dog to walk backwards, or sideways. This is a great way to strengthen the leg muscles that are not as frequently used. To get your dog to practice walking backwards, hold a treat between their nose and chest and gently walk into them so they’re walking backwards. To get your dog to walk sideways, stand on their side holding their collar and take alternate steps gently into them - practice in both directions.
- Getting your dog to walk over cavalettis or small poles, allowing them to lift their feet higher and improve balance - use treats to encourage this!
- Gently massaging their joints and muscles improves blood circulation and overall muscle health.
- Walking, running, healthy diet, and keeping up regular exercise are also essential parts of your dog’s daily routine.
- Gut health is also key to ensuring optimum health. We recommend adding a probiotic each day to their food. They don't mind the taste and it ensures that their gut is getting the good bacteria needed to thrive and stay healthy.
Natural Approaches ...
MicroMed's blog post provides insightful tips on combating eczema in dogs naturally. It explores how environmental factors could lead to eczema and...Read More
Exercises to Improv...
Geriatric dogs are those who begin to lose muscle as they naturally age. There are some simple ways to help your dog to stay healthier for longer...Read More
Is Your Dog Immune ...
Do you think your dog could be immune compromised? Not sure? See if you can answer yes to any of these questions… - Did your dog have to hav...Read More